Thanks to the previous responders!  In addition, versions 0.82 and beyond
support a more intuitive distance selection phrase:

"... within ... of ..."

For example:

load lig.pdb
load prot.pdb
select site,prot within 6 of lig
show surface, site

Note that if the ligand and protein are in the same object and the ligand isn't
composed of PDB HETATM's, then you may need to specifically exclude their
presence from the surface calculation:

flag ignore,lig
rebuild