Hi Pymolers,

Sorry for a newbie question, but here goes.

I am trying to get started with movies and am having problems with the understanding the paradigm (states vs frames and how actions are associated with frames, etc). So, a couple of questions arise.

1) Perhaps I misunderstanding the utility of movies. I am thinking of using a sequence of frames that I could move through 1 by 1 as a way of moving through a presentation. [I would be doing this in PyMOL so I have slways have complete interactivity, and not as a quicktime movie.] Each frame would differ enough that I do not want to try to type in all the required pymol commands individually, nor try to do it all with the GUI on the fly. (e.g. I am thinking of something like starting by showing a protein, then show a cartoon, then go back to sticks, then zoom into the active site, etc.) Is this reasonable, or is there a better way to effectively apply "functions" containing a sequence of PyMOL commands to move through a presentation. Would it be better to do this as a bunch of individual scripts which I call from the command line? (perhaps with scirptBox, though I have not yet got it up and running on my mac -- has anyone done this?)? Any thoughts would be great.

2) I have been using the manual, the list archives, and a couple of small tutorials on the web, but remain a bit lost on movie creation. Are there examples which use movies towards the purpose I describe above which might give more hints on how to define states/frames/associated actions, etc. Most of the examples I have found go a different direction (thus, point 1)).

I am using 0.84beta on OSX 10.2.1 -- it great -- thanks for all the effort in the creation of PyMOL and the port to OS X. I also have it on my SGI, if the full GUI would make any of this more obvious.

3) Where can I find the source to the "scripted animation" Demo (arginine conformations)?

4)  Can transparency be applied to sticks?
[saw the previous post, but could not find an answer]

Thanks for any help.

Kersey