To get the fink 0.86 version of PyMOL running hardware accelerated on Mac OS X using Apples newly released X11 you will need to install both Apples X11 public beta and their X11 software development kit available here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/

You also need to get fink up and running. Detailed instructions for installing fink can be found here:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/bundled/install.php

instructions for setting up fink to use Apples X11 XServer can be found here:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/x11/inst-xfree86.php#apple-binary

once you have installed fink and apples X11, you will need to compile PyMOL

I would recommend that newbies use fink commander to get their fink installation configured correctly. You need to enable the preference to use unstable packages in the Fink Commander preferences before you attempt to install PyMOL as the 0.86 release is not yet rated as stable (although it works fine for me). Fink commander can be found here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15256&db=mac

after getting fink up and running (with selfupdate-cvs) using the unstable tree and apples X11 all you need to do to get PyMOL 0.86 running is to type

sudo fink install pymol

in a terminal or just highlight the pymol package in Fink Commander and select the > source >install command from the menus) this should build PyMOL 0.86 and all required dependencies (~15 packages in all). This will take quite a while so don't be impatient.

Finally launch Apples X11.app and under the applications menu select customize then add an item called PyMOL with the command /sw/bin/pymol and you should now be able to launch accelerated PyMOL from the applications menu

Cheers and enjoy,