Dear Warren,

I installed it with python distutils from source. See the bug report I filed
in the meantime for details. It turned out to be a problem with some versions
of gcc - crash when raytracing lines, sticks or meshes with "gcc (GCC) 3.3
20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)" and with gcc 3.3.1, but a perfectly
stable PyMOL with good old gcc 2.95.3.

Best regards

Thomas

--