I just tried Summit Xserver, it is definitly a looot fast. But ... in
single head mode. They claim they support Matrox Millennium G450
multihead. In dual view 1600x1200 mode, the pymol won't lanuch, gave out:
GLUT: fatal error in pymol, visual with neccessary capbilities not found.
But in dual view 1152x864 and under, it does lauch, but not as fast as in
single head mode, and some of the screen goes out of the monitor.

And the price for the Summit multi-head is more than the price for a new
good graphic card. I just have ordered ATI radeon 9600 PRO and 9600, will
see how it goes.

Thanks for the informations.
Chen

> I have 2 monitors running out of an ATI Radeon 8500 on redhat 8.0 using
> the summit accelerated Xserver from Xig.com for hardware stereo on one
> of the monitors.
>
> I use the dual view function, so 1 big desktop (1 "screen" on 2
> monitors)
>
> Very hardware accelerated!
>
> cheers
>
> Dan
>

> On 12 Nov 2003, at 06:25, pymol-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net
> wrote:
>
> > --__--__--
> >
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:17:20 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Yu Chen <c...@hhmi.umbc.edu>
> > To: Marc Saric <marc.sa...@gmx.de>
> > cc: pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [PyMOL] Need advice on graphic card
> >
> > the "merged mode" is just one framebuffer for both display, so fool the
> > system thinking it's only a "single-head" presented.
> > No, Xinerama won't work with DRI. That's why i used merged mode, but it
> > messed up nmrview's font.
> >
> > Seems nobody else out there using two screens?
> >
> > Thanks anyway, Marc
> > Chen
> Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
> Cell Biology
> Department of biological and environmental science
> PO Box  35
> University of Jyväskylä
> Jyväskylä FIN 40014
> Finland
> +358 (0)14 260 4183 (work)
> +358 (0)414740463 (mob)
>
> http://www.chalkie.org.uk
> d...@chalkie.org.uk
> wh...@cc.jyu.fi

Yu Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Chemistry Building, Rm 182
University of Maryland at Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

phone:  (410)455-6347
        (410)455-2718