K.K. Liang,

        Thanks for your comments.  Like a handful of other modern
software companies, DeLano Scientific is pursuing a business model that
can work to promote Open-Source software as well as business success.
As far as I know, we are the only company with this goal in the
molecular modeling and visualization field, but there are others in the
scientific arena (e.g. Enthought, Inc.).

        Just to be clear, sponsorship is an option, not a requirement.
You can use the Open-Source versions of the code without cost.  However,
if you do sponsor the project through purchase of a perpetual license
and a renewable one-year subscription, then you get the added benefits
of support, upgrades, improving documentation, and access to Incentive
Products such as MacPyMOL (Jan 2004), for the duration of the
subscription.

        DeLano Scientific LLC will provide a receipt for your purchase
that can be used for reimbursement, and which shows you the duration of
your subscription.  Or if you'd like, you can have your university
directly purchase PyMOL from us using a purchase order on your behalf.

        Please direct any further business questions to me directly
(war...@delanoscientific.com) since the user's list isn't really the
right place for these discussions.

mailto:war...@delanoscientific.com
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.