On Tuesday, February 17, 2004, at 02:57  PM, ALEX DAJKOVIC wrote:

hello-
i am new to pymol and am trying to figure out how to differentially
color different chains (i.e. different proteins) in the structure i am
viewing. the structure i am working with is actually a structure of two
proteins that were co-crystalized and i would like assign different
colors to them.
thanks for your help.
alex dajkovic

Hello Alex, I think what you want is to use the 'select' function in combination with the 'resi' function. This is documented in the reference manual. Following is a helpful summary that was sent to me by Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.

Let's say I wanted to create a single residue selection for Lysine 465 (and I choose to call the selection 'K465'), so that I could color and display it the way I wanted: (insert your particular atom coordinates file name where you see square brackets below)
_______________________________________
select K465, ([filename] and chain A and resi 465)

or you could shorten the selection string:

select ak465, (abc & c. a and r. 465)

or use the shorthand notation:

select ak465, /abc//a/465
˜
Now to create multiple residue selections, just separate the start and end residue numbers by a colon, I think, following the word 'resi'

Once you create your unique selections they show up in the right panel list and you can further manipulate their display properties as you see fit.

Regards,
--Michael