Alex
try typing:

dss

this will assign secondary structure to your PDB and then the cartoon will show you the sheets and helices you desire.
Scott

On Feb 19, 2004, at 1:44 PM, ALEX DAJKOVIC wrote:

dear all,
i am new to pymol and i have a question about cartoons.
i saw the demo of cartoon ribbons and really liked it, but i haven't
been able to get my protein displayed that way. when i give the command
"cartoon automatic" all i get is a simple line that apparently traces
the backbone of my protein chain.  cartoon loop does the same thing.
with "cartoon tube" i get a thicker line.  how do i set the parameters
so that i get nice helices and sheets like the ones showed in the demo?
thanks,
alex

  Scott Classen, Ph.D.
  ACS Postdoctoral Fellow