I think the current way is to use the pk1 and pk2 selections.

Assuming you're not using the distance wizard, Ctrl-right-click selects
something as pk1 and gets rid of the other pkX selections.
Double-right-click selects something as the next pkX selection.  So ..
Ctrl-right click to select the first atom.  Then double-right-click to
select the second atom.  Then type "dist" to show the distance.

If you're using the distance wizard, you can use any combination of
ctrl-right-clicks and double-right-clicks.

(I have never used MacPyMOL, but I think this is the same across all
PyMOLs)

-michael