I use an AMD 2 GHz machine with 1 GB of RAM (recently added 512 MB) with a
GeForce5200 graphics card, and I was quite happy with the performance
(Windows - Linux is currently not possible since the machine I got Linux
installed on is too slow) for the 65,000 atoms of the smaller ribosome
structure. Surface rendering of that structure takes about 2.5 min with an
initial memory usage of about 1.25 GB.

With respect to the crash with 1JJ2.pdb: pymol shuts down immediately - no
pymol processes running anymore.

Warren proposed to set the surface mode to -1 or -2, but I got the same
result: it crashed again.

After that I thought maybe my new memory is faulty and ran an exhaustive
memory check - without any errors.

I then selected chain A of the structure and then used 'show surface,a' ('a'
being the selected protein chain): this worked fine! Three chains: fine! All
atoms: crash!

I wonder if anybody with a 'decent' machine could try the same and let me
know if they got the same problem. If not, it's my machine and I won't
bother anybody anymore ;-)

Thanks in advance!

WDL

Here's the direct link to the PDB entry:
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/cgi/explore.cgi?job=download&pdbId=1JJ2&page=&pid=282541105295401

1 GB Mailbox bereits in GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail