Doug,

Setwise logical ANDs and ORs are tricky at first.  In this case, you want to
create a new set that contains atoms in a1 *or* a2.  There aren't any atoms
that are in both a1 and a2 which is why you're ending up with an empty
object.

create one, a1 or a2

Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist

. DeLano Scientific LLC
. 400 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
. South San Francisco, CA 94080
. Biz:(650)-872-0942  Tech:(650)-872-0834
. Fax:(650)-872-0273  Cell:(650)-346-1154
. mailto:war...@delsci.com