Hi Kostas,

This topic has been covered several times from a resolution stand point.
Joel has a nice hint, but be sure to set your viewport to the right aspect
ratio before using the ray command.

viewport 700, 700
(other pymol commands to make your figure the way you want)

ray 2400, 2400
png myfig.png

will give you the exact same view in your raytraced image.  Without it the
default aspect ratio from startup will be used and you will either add
extra white space to your image or you will crop your image.

Additionally, you can set the cartoon variables to improve the look of
your helices, loops, and beta strands as well.

Examples:

set cartoon_oval_width, 0.2000
set cartoon_oval_length, 1.200
set cartoon_oval_quality, 100.00000
set cartoon_loop_quality, 60.00000
set cartoon_rect_width, 0.20000
set cartoon_rect_length, 1.20000

You will find these under the Setting menu, then select edit all to find a
list of all the variables that can be modified.

Good Luck,

Chris