Hi folks,

* Warren DeLano <war...@delsci.com> [2005-08-10 16:41] wrote:
> James,
>
> > PyMol would allow one to enter a peptide sequence (generally short in
> > length) to create a template structure that can then be used
>
> Just hold down ALT/OPTION and type in the peptide sequence.  The
> numbering will be arbitrary, but at least you'll have something to work
> with.
>
> >From a script, you can hack this as follows:
>
> for aa in "DCAHWLGELVWCT": cmd._alt(string.lower(aa))

I had already written a script to do this, but making it easier to
specify the exact phi/psi angles to use.  I borrowed bits of the
editor.py file already within PyMOL and created a new front end to it.
There are two versions.

build_seq.py builds a stretch of residues with the same phi/psi angles:

  build_seq QGAADLESLGQYF, ss=helix
or
  build_seq QGAADLESLGQYF, phi=-75, psi=-35

while build_seq_phi_psi.py reads a file containing the sequence and
phi/psi angles to use for each residue:

  build_seq_phi_psi filename

where filename contains lines like:

  Q 30. 50.
  G -57. 60.
  A 120. 30.
  A -50. 60.
  D -57. 60.
  L -119. 113.
  E -119. 113.

For both scripts a new object named for the first residue is created (gln in
this
case), unless you've picked an atom to build from, thus creating a pk1
selection.  Then the sequence is added onto that atom.

Both scripts are downloadable from my PyMOL scripts site (under the
section called "modelling").

  http://adelie.biochem.queensu.ca/~rlc/work/pymol

Cheers,
Rob
--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.                         <r...@post.queensu.ca>
Senior Research Associate                            phone: 613-533-6821