Hello, We are running Python v2.2.3 on Red Hat Enterprise 3 which is almost like Red Hat 9 and/or Fedora Core 1. Our RedHat version seems to be choking on the pyc file. The following is the error we get. Exception in plugin 'CASTpyMOL' -- Traceback follows...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "modules/pmg_tk/PMGApp.py", line 109, in initialize_plugins
ImportError: Bad magic number in /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/pymol/modules/pmg_tk/startup/CASTpyMOL.
pyc
Error: unable to initialize plugin 'CASTpyMOL'.
We have contacted the plugin authors but have been unable to solve this problem. Thanks,
JJ

Hello,
We use CASTpyMOL.pyc file, for Linux, on Suse. It works fine.

The .pyc files are python compiled code and they should work only for python and PyMOL versions they have been compiled for. So, CASTpyMOL.pyc file is for PyMOL 0.98 and must be moved in the PYMOL_HOME/modules/pmg_tk/startup/ directory.

Try a binary version of PyMOL, it embeds its own python interpreter.

Maybe this will resolve your problem.

--
Sébastien Moretti
http://www.igs.cnrs-mrs.fr/