Hi Richard,
Unfortunately, PyMOL will not do symmetry expansion. You could use ccp4s mapmask to extend an existing map around a molecule. An example script is below (BORDER is the number of angstroms around the input model to calculate the new map)

mapmask \
XYZIN model.pdb \
MAPIN previous_map.map \
MAPOUT new_map.ccp4 \
<< eof
BORDER 5
end
eof

Jacob

Richard wrote:
I just loaded a CCP4-format density map and am having a little trouble getting the map to cover the area of interest on the model. The displayed map covers the entire unit cell, but the model I am working with is located at the bottom corner with many of the atoms spilling over into neighboring unit cells. When I try to generate an isomesh around the residue of interest, nothing appears, because that residue is not in the main unit cell. I suppose I could generate lots of symmetry neighbors using symexp and delete the ones I don't want. Would be better if the isomesh automatically applied symmetry when extending outside the main unit cell. Perhaps I am overlooking some controls. Is there a better way to solve this problem?

Richard Gillilan
MacCHESS
Cornell