pymol-users-boun...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote on 10/25/2006 08:11:27 PM:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I wish to represent the backbone of my protein in cartoon with a
> transparency of 0.6. Around it I show the surface with a transparency of
> 0.4. (the aim is to highlight some specific residues by showing their
> side chains in stick without transparency).
> I can see the wanted result in OpenGL view. But when I raytrace the
> picture a kind of "Copperfield" effect happens: the cartoon backbone
> disappears (NB: it happens for any kind of combination of transparency
> value for cartoon and surface).
> Is anybody have an idea of what is happening ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emeric

Hi Emeric -

Pymol has a few different ways of handling multiple nested transparent
surfaces.  The default is to just show the one closest to the viewer
(uni-layer transparency).  This gives prettier pictures with a single
surface, since you don't see the backside of the protein or any pockets in
the surface.  However, for your purposes, you want multi-layer
transparency.  To select this, choose "Setting->Transparency->Multi-layer".

I just confirmed that this works.  I find the results a bit busy, unless
you're looking at just a small part of the protein.  You may need to hide
background details with the clipping planes.

- Matt

--
Matthew Franklin , Ph.D.
Senior Scientist, ImClone Systems

Confidentiality Note:  This e-mail, and any attachment to it, contains
privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) or entity named on the e-mail.  If the reader of this e-mail
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
reading it is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately return it to the sender and delete it from your
system.  Thank you.