Hi William

You can do it, or something that's as close to a cone as you could wish
for, by using a triangle fan. The apex of the fan is the top of the cone
and then you just add points around the base of the cone at whatever
granularity you like.

That would take some programming though, but it's not too difficult if you
know some Python, as the CGO interface is very simple.  I wrote a pymol
plugin to do something similar: it takes an input specification file,
parses it, and draws many CGO objects as a result. It works just fine.
Making the resulting cones smoothly colored or transparent would be more,
and harder, work though.  Without doing that, your cones may not play
nicely with the rest of the stuff drawn by pymol (which in my case is
nothing at all :-)).

Terry