> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:21:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: GAO FENG <mcf...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [PyMOL] How to superimpose two ligands?
> To: pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Could someone tell me how to perform superimposition of two or more ligands
> from different PDBs?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Feng.

PyMolers,

I'd like to follow up my previous post with a clarification.

When Feng asked for superposition of ligands from two protein structures, I
made the assumption that the residue pairings (sequence alignment) had
already been completed for his ligands.  Thus all that was needed was a
translation and rotation of one set of coordinates onto the other; hence the
suggestion to use optAlign from Kabsch.

optAlign from the Kabsch code is a simply an algorithm to find the optimal
superposition of two coordinate sets, nothing more.  It does no pairings at
all -- just rotate and translate.  You have to find which residues to align
to which other residues.

One limitation on using CEAlign is that your selections must have more than 8
atoms.  So, CEAlign could solve the problem entirely, but would need some
modification to do so.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

References if needed:
http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Kabsch