Kalju,

1. Old SGIs have pitiful graphics performance when compared to modern PC
graphics cards.  You would likely get better results running PyMOL locally
on a PC desktop or laptop than on an old SGI workstation.

2. Surfaces are calculated server-side, however, PyMOL was not optimized for
client/server setups.

set use_display_lists, 1

might help a bit when displaying surfaces and other complex geometries.

--
DeLano Scientific LLC
Subscriber Support Services

"Not yet a PyMOL Subscriber, but want to support the project?  Email
sa...@delsci.com to quote your lab, school, or employer.  Thank you for
sponsoring this open-source endeavor!" -WLD