I found an old version of my code.  It was just slightly more
complicated than I thought.  Here's a version of the wrapper that I
was using:

import sys

sys.path.append('/home/mlerner/work/src/PyMOL_Plugins/')

import SomethingOrOtherTools
def __init__(self):
   self.menuBar.addmenuitem('Plugin', 'command',
                            'SomethingOrOther',
                            label='SomethingOrOther...',
                            command = lambda s=self:
getSomethingOrOtherTools(s))

def getSomethingOrOtherTools(thing):
   reload(SomethingOrOtherTools)
   return SomethingOrOtherTools.SomethingOrOtherTools(thing)

-michael