Jacob,

Are you looking at a nucleic acid structure perhaps?  PyMOL automatically
disables the asterisk wildcard for atom names in PDB structures read which
contain asterisks in the atom name field (as do many NA structures...).

To restore it,

unset atom_name_wildcard, object-name

But then note that PyMOL will then be unable to distinguish C2 in the base
from C2* in the sugar, etc.

However, if you issue this first,

alter all, name=string.replace(name,"*","'")

Then you will be able to distinguish C2 from C2' and still have your atom
name wildcards!

Cheers,
DeLano Scientific LLC