On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Thomas S. Leyh, Ph. D.
<l...@aecom.yu.edu>wrote:

>      Every once in a while, I try to show a metal ion as a tranparent
> sphere and inevetiably get stuck trying to make the tiny cartesian
> coordinate system that appears at the center of the sphere disappear so it
> doesn't "show through".  Suggestions?

I think you want "hide nonbonded".

I have a related question: is there a way (or could there be) to control the
default appearance of molecules upon loading?  Personally, when I use PyMOL
I almost always want to look at cartoons, without nonbonded atoms.
 Something as simple as a few new settings that I could throw in ~/.pymolrc
would be fine.