I have a weird problem: we have a cluster of Linux computers (managed
by Sun Grid Engine) running at least three different distributions of
Fedora.  I compiled PyMOL on the head node (Fedora 8) and I want to
invoke it on the command line to generate images as part of some other
computations.  I'm using a custom Python installation for this, but I
immediately ran into problems with another library, GLEW:

  File
"/net/chevy/raid1/nat/build/intel-linux-2.6-x86_64/base/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pymol/__init__.py",
line 184, in <module>
    import pymol
  File
"/net/chevy/raid1/nat/build/intel-linux-2.6-x86_64/base/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pymol/__init__.py",
line 472, in <module>
    import _cmd
ImportError: libGLEW.so.1.4: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

libGLEW.so.1.4 is what Fedora 8 has, but some of the other systems
have libGLEW.so.1.5 or libGLEW.so.1.6.  I also noticed that libglut
has slightly different names depending on OS, but I'm not sure yet if
this is going to cause problems.

Has anyone dealt with this before?  Is there an easy way around the
problem, or do I need to install my own builds of GLEW and GLUT and
link to those instead?  (And if so, what do I need to do when running
setup.py to get it to recognize the custom installations of these
libraries?)

thanks,
Nat