Dear PyMOL users.

Since 1/5-2012 (revision 3997) pymol has an improved plugin manager due to
Thomas Holder's effort.
I personally believe that it is a wonderful tool to extend the capabilities
of PyMOL, making it easy and fast to acquire new scripts.

Since November 2011, a group of pymol users has been involved in moving a
kind-of-large fraction of the scripts in pymolwiki under revision control
via git and hosted at

https://github.com/Pymol-**Scripts/Pymol-script-repo<https://github.com/Pymol-Scripts/Pymol-script-repo>

This makes it easy to download all the scripts at one time, and also make
it possible to the authors to push changes and corrections out to the users.

*The combination of the improved plugin manager and the repository is
powerful, and I would be interested to hear if this is useful for others.*

I have tried to make an easy guide to use the combination.
 So, if you are a little experienced in pymol+python and know a little
about paths and if have a PyMOL version with the new plugin manager, then I
would be interested in any comments.

The project is described here:
http://pymolwiki.org/index.**php/Git<http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git>
The guide is here:
http://pymolwiki.org/index.**php/Git_install<http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git_install>

1) Get the repository
 - One can either download a zip file of the git repository, and  unpack it.
http://pymolwiki.org/index.**php/Git_install#Manual_**download_of_scripts<http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git_install#Manual_download_of_scripts>
 - Or install a git repository manager, and directly pull changes from the
repository.
http://pymolwiki.org/index.**php/Git_install#Git_install_**instructions<http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git_install#Git_install_instructions>

2) Combine with plugin manager :

Then open PyMOL. Go to top menu: Plugin->Plugin Manager

   1. Installed plugins: Unclick "apbs_tools" as "load on startup". (The
   Pymol-script-repo has a fine-tuned version, "apbsplugin")
   2. Settings->Add new directory: Point to:
   /custom/path/Pymol-script-repo/plugins
   3. Restart PyMOL

If there is any script or plugin from the pymolwiki, which you think would
be good to have in the repository, don't hesitate to write me
with the suggestion, and I will put it in.
http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Category:Script_Library
http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Category:Plugins

--------

Best