Hi Shane,

With PyMOL v1.5 and later, and a reasonable machine you should be able
to use large systems (>250,000, and upward of 1,000,000+ atoms)
without much of a problem. Using the following simple test script:

fetch 2xpj, type=pdb1, async=0
split_states 2xpj
delete 2xpj
orient

For these 240,000 atoms on a Dell T5500 with a very nice video card, I get:
 * 30 FPS as lines
 * 28 FPS using cartoons
 * 30 FPS a ribbons
 * 30 FPS as surface

For these 240,000 atoms on a (1 year old) MacBookPro (with ATI Radeon
HD 6770) I get
  * 60 FPS as lines
  * 33 FPS as cartoon
  * 36 FPS as ribbon
  * 27 FPS as surface

30--60 FPS is surely in the realm of "interactive". Earlier versions
of PyMOL would have a tough time with these data. (Plus the new
versions of PyMOL have nicer rendering in real time.)

Next, you wrote:

> Is a 12-core mac like this overkill?
> http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/configure/MD771LL/A

With Moore's Law still in effect, nothing is overkill. However,
consider value for money: the recent announcements from Apple centered
around the MacBookPro -- not the MacPro.

It should be clear that those who financially support PyMOL are
responsible for this level progress. The diff from v1.4 to v1.5 was in
the range of 50,000+ lines -- and we couldn't have done that work
without our supporters. So, a special thanks goes out to them!

Cheers,

-- Jason

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Shane Neeley <shane.nee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone use pymol for very large structures, such as a full virus 60-mer
> capsid? If so, what processing power, memory, graphics card, etc. do you
> need to render these large files and manipulate them without any slowing?
> PyMol takes about 1 minute to think after trying to spin one of these full
> capsids, and that is on a dual-core 8gb ram laptop.
>
> Is a 12-core mac like this overkill?
> http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/configure/MD771LL/A
>
> Has anyone built other machines to do this sort of work?
>
> Appreciate your input,
>
> Shane Neeleu

Jason Vertrees, PhD
PyMOL Product Manager