Hi John,

what you need is a "discrete" object, not only because of the coloring,
but also because you say the number of particles is not the same for
each state.

Try to apply two modifications:

  1) "discrete" argument for "load":
  cmd.load(file, "movie", discrete=1)

  2) "state" argument for "select":
  cmd.select("particle", "id "+str(particle_index+1), state=i)

I hope this will work :)

--
Thomas Holder
MPI for Developmental Biology