Hello stereophiles,

many thanks to Jason Vertrees, Roger Rowlett and Sabuj Pattanayek for sending me information about their 3D stereo beamer setup.

I recently purchased the following equipment and was not even sure it would work:

- Optoma GT750, 1280 x 720 pixel resolution, 3000 ansi lumen, short throw (< 2 meter distance = fantastic 120" wide picture), 3D ready, HD ready - Lenovo w530, nvidia k1000m (with 192 cuda units), produces up to an amazing 1920 × 1080 pixel @ 120 HZ (!), VGA, mini display port - ASUS VG278H (not the HE model!) including one pair of nvidia glasses, HDMI (blue-ray stereo content), VGA, DVI (720p @ 120Hz), build-in IR emitter

Concerning the mobile workstation (running windows 7 professional) and the ASUS display: - if the monitor is connected by a simple mini display to HDMI adaptor, the resolution is 1920 × 1080 pixel @ 24 Hz, HD 3D is running at 1920 × 1080 pixel @ 96 Hz (I assume because 2 x 24 Hz x 2 eyes = 96 Hz which is below the 120 Hz the monitor can handle). PYMOL and COOT can be viewed in stereo making use of the build-in IR emitter and the nvidia glasses that came with the screen. The picture looks stable and better than what I remember from the good old CTR Monitors. - The small k1000m has an amazing graphics power (equal to the old Quadro 2000) but I had to buy a really expensive adaptor ( Club3D /Mini DisplayPort to Active DVI/ Dual Link, /CAC/-/1151/) for displaying 1920 × 1080 pixel @ 120 HZ on the 27 inch stereo screen. In this mode, the build-in IR emitter does not work. I needed to buy the nvidia glasses with IR emitter, which is connected to the USB port of the workstation. 120 Hz picture is stable as a rock!

In summary for this part, I should have maybe better purchased a mobile workstation with a true DVI-D outlet (not even sure those exsist!?) and safe me spending 150 US$ for the adaptor (the cheaper ones will not work!). Although, those mobiels are probably much more expensive as I merely spend 1950 US$ for the quad core with 16 GB memory and 256 GB solid state drive.

Concerning the mobile workstation (running windows 7 professional) and the GT750 beamer: - the beamer is a truely pleasant surprize for the money paid (800 US$). One can choose DLP link stereo (short white flash in between pictures) or IR emitter using the build-in vesa 3-pin connector that works with all the old IR emitters we have in the lab. - at less than 2 meters distance the beamer displays a fantastic 120" wide stereo picture (the bigger the picture the better the 3D effect) - using the DLP linked glasses from optoma there is no ghosting at all in the stereo pictures displayed and this setup works great for group meetings and small class room setting as the glasses are not that expensive compared to the IR models.

So, finally the low cost 3D Protein Cave (and the monitor) is up and running under windows 7 professional.

- Jeroen -

p.s. this particualr setup works for me and I did not try it under linux. The k1000m graphics card has no 3-pin vesa stereo connector which is required for displaying 3D content under linux (see nvidia website). But I have some hope that the beamer could work using the DLP link option...