Hi Katherine,

PyMOL can do what you want. I've done this exact task before.

Here's the idea. If you have a PDB with multiple ligands and you use,

  select allLigands, organic and myProtein

you create the selection allLigands which contains all the ligand
atoms in myProtein. What you need to do is extract each ligand,
molecule by molecule, from the allLigands selection using selection
algebra until myLigands is empty. It's done like this:

# create a selection containing the atoms of all ligands

select allLigands, organic and myProtein

# create a selection to use later as we iterate across
# all ligands, this will hold individual ligands we extract
# from allLigands

select current_ligand, none

# enter a Python block so we can use Python while-loop
# and other Python syntax

python

# loop until allLigands is not empty

while cmd.count_atoms("myLigands") > 0:

  # copy the first ligand selection, by molecule, into
  # the, "current_ligand"

  cmd.select("current_ligand", "bm. first allLigands")

  # do something with "current_ligand", like finding all ligands
  # without waters nearby

  if cmd.count_atoms("solvent within 5 of current_ligand") == 0:

    print "This is an interesting ligand."

  # now remove current_ligand from allLigands
  # and loop again

  cmd.select("allLigands", "allLigands and not current_ligand")

python end

Good luck!

Cheers,

-- Jason