Sorry if I was unclear. Currently I've got a functioning script that looks
for a specific set of interactions in 3D space for each ligand in a pdb. If
this interaction exists it gets passed along to a solvent accessible
surface area %cutoff to eliminate ligands that are sitting on bulk solvent.
I need to distinguish between genuine solvent exposed ligands and those
that are sitting on a biological interface that isn't represented in the
crystallographic ASU. Loading as a multiplex=1 or grouping alone is
insufficient for program to recognize and account for the other molecules
and include them in the calculations, hence the create command.

Basically I need a way to load the .pdb1 files as the full biological
assembly. I need it recognize if it is a multimer (I was using count_states
if loop as that recognition mechanism). If it recognizes that it is a
multimer it needs to then pass the multimer into the group/create loop. If
it is a monomer it needs to proceed through the rest of the script. This is
a PDB datamining thing so it needs to be broad enough to account for any
possible oligomer. If there is another way for the program to recognize
that there are multimers present that would be great. Count_states was the
only criteria I managed to fish out of the wiki/bb archives.

Thanks for the advice,
Katherine

--
"Nil illegitimo carborundum"* - *Didactylos