Geroge,

"Vizkelethy, Gyorgy" <gviz...@sandia.gov> writes:
> I am very new to OpenCl, I am actually investigating if this is what I
> need. So if I ask something obvious please just point me where the
> information can be found. I installed pyopencl after some troubles. My
> OS is 10.10 (Yosemite) but I have XCode 7, which has the 10.11 SDK. So
> the install script did not find the SDK for the OS and crashed. The
> solution was easy, just to make a link to the 10.11 SDK with the right
> name. Then the first thing I did was to run the benchmark script. With
> the default settings, 256 workers, it failed with
> LogicError: clenqueuendrangekernel failed: INVALID_WORK_GROUP_SIZE in
> the CPU section. If I skipped the CPU it ran just fine on my Radeon
> GPUs. I changed the number of workers to 128 and it ran just fine on
> the CPU. When I query the CPU OpenCL properties it says the maximum
> work group size is 1024, but it fails with 256. Is that normal? If yes
> why? I tried it on four different Macs, 24 core MacPro, 8 core iMac
> 5k, and two different 8 core MacBook Pros, with same result.

Interesting. Apple's CPU CL implementation used to only support exactly
one work item per workgroup. It appears that they've removed that
particular limitation. When you say 'benchmark script', you mean
'dump-performance.py'?

> One more thing. There are couple of problems with some of the examples.
> narray fails on the CPU with clbuildprogram failed: BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE -

Sounds like a driver bug. Is there something about "CVMS server" in the
build log?

> transpose fails on the CPU with clenqueuendrangekernel failed:
> INVALID_WORK_GROUP_SIZE after benchmarking Silly 7488 5.25572997632 GB/s

Same issue as you noted above--the code is written to use a workgroup
size that's not supported.

> gl_interop fails with AttributeError: type object 'context_properties'
> has no attribute ‘CONTEXT_PROPERTY_USE_CGL_SHAREGROUP_APPLE in
> tools.py

It's likely that you built PyOpenCL without support for GL
interoperability.

> gl_particle_animation.py fails with AttributeError: type object
> 'context_properties' has no attribute
> ‘CONTEXT_PROPERTY_USE_CGL_SHAREGROUP_APPLE’ then many more error
> messages are coming, and since the particle window cannot be closed I
> have to kill python.

Same.

> Did things change between now when the examples were written?

No, I don't believe so. It's just that OpenCL devices vary considerably
in functionality. Core (documented) PyOpenCL (and the tests) go to great
lengths to support any and every machine you might care to run on, but
the examples do not (yet? patches welcome!) live up to that same
standard.

Andreas