I removed the file nvidia.icd from /etc/OpenCL/vendors/ and then i tried
the above mentioned command
*echo libnvidia-opencl.so.1 >> /etc/OpenCL/vendors/nvidia.icd*

and it worked. but i still get the same error when running following code:

import pyopencl as cl
cl.get_platforms()

clGetPlatformIDs failed: <unknown error -1001>