From: Andreas Kloeckner <li...@informa.tiker.net>
Sent: Monday, April 1, 2019 8:18 PM
To: DITTER, CHRISTOPHER J 1st Lt USAF HAF NASIC/ACNW
<christopher.ditte...@us.af.mil>; pyopencl@tiker.net
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [PyOpenCL] PyOpenCL Installation

Chris,

"DITTER, CHRISTOPHER J 1st Lt USAF HAF NASIC/ACNW"
<christopher.ditte...@us.af.mil> writes:
> I am a new user trying to install PyOpenCL with the latest version of
> Anaconda (for python 3.7) to a standalone HPC. After installing
> Anaconda to my work directory, installing the correct PyOpenCL package
> for python 3.7, symbolically linking the nvidia.icd from
> /etc/OpenCL/vendors/nvidia.icd to
> /p/work1/myUsername/myAnaconda3/etc/OpenCL/vendors/nvidia.icd as the
> documentation states, launching an interactive GPU node, launching
> python, and running “import pyopencl”, I get the following error:
> “ImportError: /lib64/libOpenCL.so.1: version ‘OPENCL_2.1’ not found
> (required by /p/work1/
> myUsername/myAnaconda3/lib/python3.7/pyopencl/_cl.cpython-37m-x86_64-l
> inux-gnu.so”. The file /etc/OpenCL/vendors/nvidia.icd contains the
> text “libnvidia-opencl.so.1”.
>
> I originally submitted a ticket to the HPC admins asking them to
> update OpenCL to version 2.1 due to this error I was getting, but
> later learned that the GPU’s on this HPC only support up to OpenCL
> 1.2. After looking over some posts here, I’m tempted to think that
> there may be an issue with the OpenCL header files specifying that the
> OpenCL version is 2.1 even though the nvidia drivers only support
> OpenCL 1.2. Does this sound like a good path for me to pursue with the
> admins or do you have any other suggestions for this error? Thanks!

Your initial hunch was correct. Nonetheless, if you must build PyOpenCL from
source, you should be able to use

./configure.py --cl-pretend-version=1.2

to force the version of the header that PyOpenCL uses.

Alternatively, since (it seems) you are already using Anaconda, you might as
well install our binary packages in conda-forge, see here:

https://documen.tician.de/pyopencl/misc.html#installation

(if that's an option)

HTH,
Andreas