On 28 September 2017 at 18:11, Jakub Bocheński <kuba.bochen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for what it's worth...
>
> I think it's really sad to see people go out of their way to help improve
> this project and are just ignored.

I've already responded in much more detail on the virtualenv-users
list, but I think this is massively over-simplifying the situation.
The proposed fix seems pretty innocuous, but it's for a relatively
limited use case (users running bash who have chosen to set a
particular setting about undeclared variables - sorry I don't recall
all the details, but I'm not a Linux user). It's easy to say "but it
couldn't possibly do any harm to merge it" - but we have users who use
many shells, not just bash, some of which are pretty obscure. The use
of the "${PS1:-}" construct (again, sorry if I got that wrong) may not
be supported on all of those - so we risk breaking the scripts for
some of our users in order to make them work for users who can easily
enough switch off the undeclared variable setting.

I'm not saying the PR shouldn't go in - the above argument could be
used to reject pretty much anything - but it's a judgement call that
needs to be made, and endless "me too" and "why are you ignoring this"
comments make it no easier to assess the risks.

The PyPA team is *very* small, and entirely made up of volunteers, and
there are other projects and issues that are much higher priority than
this issue (e.g. the rewrite of PyPI, the next version of pip, ...) So
sometimes things get left. And sadly, we can't easily get extra
resources that easily - particularly when potential contributors don't
seem to appreciate the responsibilities involved (of taking care when
potentially breaking stuff that our users rely on).

> Remember this next time you hear a rant about "leeching open source"

Next time you hear "project X never responds", remember that I spent a
substantial proportion of the free time I had today responding to
these emails, and as a result didn't get time to work on other PRs
that people have been asking for. Or would you have been happy if I'd
added a one-word "noted" comment to the issue and left it at that?
(Which would probably be about the same effort as many of the "me too"
comments cost their authors).

Paul