Hi,

Please do let me know if this is not the right place to discuss this,
but I think we're about to cause a storm of user distress on macOS,
and I am wondering if there is anything we can do to reduce it.

The situation for users of macOS < 10.13 is the following:

Until recently, pip, used with default command line options, worked as
expected, with no warnings, other than the usual (and usually ignored)
general message to upgrade pip if you are on an old version.

As of 8th April, pip will break, largely in silence.  As used with
default command line options, pip will stop seeing anything on pypi.
It will tell the user that it can't find packages that do exist on
pypi, that that users are up to date for packages that have later
versions on pypi - including pip.  There are no messages to warn the
user what has happened or how to fix it.  It is easy to think you've
upgraded to the latest version, when you have not.

The only way that the user will know what has happened, is if they
think to use the -v flag for the pip install, or if they are on a
Python mailing list, and have been paying some attention.

It seems to me that a significant majority of users are not going to
be in either category, and this is going to be a significant cause of
confusion and pain.   I don't think our users will think well of us,
when they discover the problem.

The brownout period isn't going to help much, because the breakage is
largely silent.

Is there any way of generating an informative warning and instructions
*for the default use of pip install*?

Cheers,

Matthew