"Antonio Cuni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi all,
> I'm considering the possibility of applying to Google Summer of Code
> 2006: obviously the topic of my application would be pypy :-).
> As you can guess I'd like to continue working on the CLI backend, also
> considering that I probably won't be able to finish it before I graduate.

I thought it was your thesis project, which you would need to finish.  In
any case, assuming you do not already have a summer stipend for the same
work, I would encourage you to apply -- after reading the FAQ  carefully.

> The point is that by now I can't know how mature gencli will be when soc
> starts, so it's difficult to write a good proposal: how can I say where
> I'll arrive to if I don't know where I have to start from?
>
> I could submit a vague proposal, but I guess that something like "working
> on the CLI backend" is a bit too elusive for being accepted.

Agreed

> Any suggestions?

In a couple of sentences, describe PyPy in relation to Python and link to
site.  Describe your CLI (what is that?) backend project and how it fits
into PyPy and why it is a useful thing (to other people) to do.  List what
you have done (and when you began) up to application date.  Then list your
next several steps.  Indicate what you anticipate doing before the project
starts and what you anticipate doing during the project.  (I think the FAQ
addresses the question of starting 'early' -- after approval but before the
official start date -- but forget the answer.  I recommend you find it.)
If you think needed, add a caveat about minor adjustments of schedule.

Mention where code is being deposited and if publicly accessible.  If your
CLI backend is already approved in principle (when sufficiently well done)
as one of the PyPy backends, say that too.  And make sure your proposed
mentor(s) have contacted Neal to get URL to signup with Google.

Good luck and good coding.

Terry Jan Reedy