Hi Laura,

On 11 January 2015 at 19:57, Laura Creighton <l...@openend.se> wrote:
> Can we talk the CPython developers into raising RunTimeError for
> concurrent modifications?

No, we can't expect them to change that:
http://bugs.python.org/issue19414 shows they have no plan to have
well-defined behavior (either RuntimeError or well-defined results).

So for us, the question is if it makes sense for us to break
compatibility with CPython 2.7 in this undocumented aspect by arguing
that CPython's sometimes bogus results shows it was never meant to
work at all (which is true), or if instead we should go the opposite
way and offer some well-defined results that generalizes the partially
working results of CPython (which would make people happy but is
harder to implement).

Note that I would be fine if we can't find any existing program that
relies on this.  Then we can decide to implement the RuntimeError
solution.  If and when somebody files a PyPy bug report, we can argue
again.

A bientôt,

Armin.