Please take with a grain of salt, as I'm not a pypy dev.

In general:
yes it's a great idea!
arm64 definitely fits the bill in terms of hardware and arm64 devices
could really use pypy.
I have some reservations in terms how far this can be pushed in a
single summer, but hey, it's good to be ambitious!

In terms of development and testing:
Given enough host ram, you could try to translate pypy under arm64
qemu directly.
It's going to be slow, by about factor of 10, but set up is much easier.

Other thoughts:
ARM memory [synchronisation] model is different than x86, I bet the
difference is present in 64-bit version too.
Given that most popular arm hardware is now multicore, the issue
cannot be avoided.
You'd need a core dev to provide guidance here.

d.