I want to customize grid lines, as in:

   1. using specific pens to allow customization of grid line color,
   thickness, and style, independent of the corresponding axis object
   2. notion of major / minor gridlines
   3. separate control over horizontal / vertical grid lines

As these specifications are not available in pyqtgraph by default, I'd like
to understand the best way to implement this.
My current understanding is that I need to subclass GridItem, and
re-implement GridItem.generatePicture(self).

Even for Spec 1, I don't see a simple way to do this. Following Luke's
suggestion (see here
of subclassing GridItem and creating a setPen() method also requires
rewriting the generatePicture() to replace the hard-coded pens with the
customized ones.
Furthermore, the drawing algorithm in GridItem.generatePicture() makes it
difficult to implement spec 2 or 3.

Before I implement such a change, I want to ensure that I am looking at the
right method to modify. Am I right that re-implementing
GridItem.generatePicture() is the way forward?

"pyqtgraph" group.
to pyqtgraph+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.