So, some caveats first:

* I am using this subtree method in one of my projects, and I am not
totally convinced it is worth the extra effort.
* If you have custom changes to pyqtgraph that you want to keep in sync
with changes to the parent project, AND you feel really comfortable with
git, then this might be a reasonable option.

That said, the core branch doesn't really need to be updated, because the
way (I think) you should use it
as as a starting point for creating your own core branch--you would clone
the core into your package and then pull from the develop branch to bring
it up to date. At that point you "own" that core branch; you only update it
when you are ready to.

If you're still interested, I can post some more specific information
(especially command examples) of how I use subtrees.