Follow-up to why this is broken on the latest Ubuntu:

On Ubuntu, the default /bin/sh changed from pointing to /bin/bash to the new /bin/dash. Dash is supposed to be faster, and more modern. It also uses the new "echo" (from 2004) which does not allow options.

Two possible fixes:

1) change /bin/sh to point to /bin/bash

2) remove the -e's in pyrobot/Makefile after the "echo" command (I don't have an Ubuntu computer so I am not sure this does the right thing)

For more information, see:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/61463

-Doug

Matthew Studley wrote:
Hi chaps

this problem (in English) came up in my recent install.  See my posts
last week regarding install on Ubuntu.

http://www.mail-archive.com/pyro-users@pyrorobotics.org/msg00207.html

In short, two pyrobot files are created in which the first line starts
with '-e #' instead of '#'.  This must be an artifact of the creation
system - a parameter for echo being interpreted as a string?

The files you need to edit are bin/pyrobot and system/version.py

regards

Pyro-users mailing list
Pyro-users@pyrorobotics.org