Thanks Jukka,

that's probably not a bad idea considering how much time I have spent trying to get this to work via QT. I had been toying with the idea of just sending a dictionary of the relevant data, probably via a custom mime type, then re-creating the custom item upon drop in the receiving view. I will keep that in mind as my last resort, but it feels like the default implementation of the drop behaviour is soooo close, that it should be possible to drop a custom item in some QT-ish way without re-invening the wheel - or is that too optimistic?

Here is a simple test code, hopefully we can get some more input with that:
http://pastebin.com/5UDPQFjh

With this code, when dropping an item fro the left into the right view, the print statement shows that a QStandardItem is produced rather than the custom item.

Any more takers?

Cheers,
frank