I seem to several MSVCR*.DLL  on my system.
I've checked every MSVCR90.DLL that I have on my system and the properties
indicate for all of them "Product Name: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008"
My expertise in this domain is limited so I'll check with a colleague.

Furthermore it is bizar that if I run the same script (just "import tables")
as a 'normal' script (in spyder, but at the command prompt 'python
script.py' works also fine)
So, to me it seems that my settings should be ok.
PS. my installation of python, pytables,... is done with python(x,y) at
once.