On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Jim Knoll <jim.kn...@spottradingllc.com>wrote:

> I am trying to make this better / faster…  ****
>
> Data comes faster than I can store it on one box.  So My though was to
> have many boxes each storing their own part in their own table.****
>
> Later I would concatenate the tables together with something like this:***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> dest_h5f = pt.openFile(path + 'big_mater.h5','a')****
>
> for source_path in source_h5_path_list:****
>
>     h5f = pt.openFile(source_path,'r')****
>
>     for node in h5f.root:****
>
>         dest_table = dest_h5f.getNode('/', name = node.name)****
>
>         print node.nrows****
>
>         if node.nrows > 0 and node.nrows < 1000000:   # found I needed to
> limit the max size or I would crash  ****
>
>             dest_table.append(node.read())****
>
>             dest_table.flush()****
>
>     h5f.close()****
>
> dest_h5f.close()****
>
> ** **
>
> I could add the logic to iter in chunks over the source data to overcome
> the crash and  but I suspect there could be a better way.

Hi Jim,

You can just iterate over each row in the table (ie "for row in node").
 This is slow, but would solve the problem.

> ****
>
> ** Take a table in one h5 file and append it to a table in another h5
> file.   Looked like Table.copy() would do the trick but don’t see how I get
> it to append to an existing table.

You could append directly by using the where_append() method with the
condition "'True'" to append the whole table.  This will automatically do
the chunking for you.

Be Well
Anthony