On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Mathieu Dubois <duboismathieu_g...@yahoo.fr
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to use PyTables in conjunction with multiprocessing for some
> embarrassingly parallel tasks.
>
> However, it seems that it is not possible. In the following (very
> stupid) example, X is a Carray of size (100, 10) stored in the file
> test.hdf5:
>
> import tables
>
> import multiprocessing
>
> # Reload the data
>
> h5file = tables.openFile('test.hdf5', mode='r')
>
> X = h5file.root.X
>
> # Use multiprocessing to perform a simple computation (column average)
>
> def f(X):
>
>      name = multiprocessing.current_process().name
>
>      column = random.randint(0, n_features)
>
>      print '%s use column %i' % (name, column)
>
>      return X[:, column].mean()
>
> p = multiprocessing.Pool(2)
>
> col_mean = p.map(f, [X, X, X])
>
> When executing it the following error:
>
> Exception in thread Thread-2:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 551, in __bootstrap_inner
>
>      self.run()
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 504, in run
>
>      self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 319, in
> _handle_tasks
>
>      put(task)
>
> PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'weakref'>: attribute lookup
> __builtin__.weakref failed
>

> I have googled for weakref and pickle but can't find a solution.
>
> Any help?

Hello Mathieu,

I have used multiprocessing and files opened in read mode many times so I
am not sure what is going on here.  Could you provide the test.hdf5 file so
that we could try to reproduce this.

> By the way, I have noticed that by slicing a Carray, I get a numpy array
> (I created the HDF5 file with numpy). Therefore, everything is copied to
> memory. Is there a way to avoid that?

Only the slice that you ask for is brought into memory an it is returned as
a non-view numpy array.

Be Well
Anthony