Hi,

> If we assume that pytest-2.7.X will be "bugfix only" we could
> tie its doc target to "latest" and ask everybody who does doc enhancements
> to target their PRs to "latest".

Seems reasonable to me, but what about doc fixes for features which will
be released only on 2.8.0?

> This means that even little feature additions or changes in behaviour
> would neccessarily need to go to pytest-2.8. In the past, i have
> allowed such little additions where i was pretty sure they wouldn't break
> things into micro releases

According to Semantic Versioning, strictly speaking changes in existing
behavior would have to bump the minor number (except bugs, which would
bump MICRO). Not sure how people feel about it, but some
(myself included) like to know that they can safely update a library/tool
without having to review your code for usage changes (not that I've ever had
this problem with pytest, mind you). MAJOR should be updated for
backward-incompatible changes, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

In the end of the day, I guess just having a couple of guidelines/rules in
place
is that everyone agrees on is good enough.

Back to which PRs should target, in "contributing.txt" it is recommended to
always target "latest". My knowledge of Mercurial is
limited so please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that make it harder
port bug fixes to a "maintenance" branch?

Just to share what we have used in Git, maintenance branches are used
as targets for bug fixes, while master should be target for new features.
This way,
you can easily merge maintenance into master to port bug-fixes to the
future release,
while keeping a possible maintenance release free of new features.

Cheers,