On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:12:10PM +0200, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> I'm agree that we should probably have a code of conduct.  We had one
> for the sprint (we used https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/ + 2
> contact details for violations) and I'm surprised it stopped at the
> sprint.  Probably an oversight.
>
> I just skimmed through C4 again and didn't spot much useful there, in
> any case the bulk of C4 does not try to address people's conduct.  And
> the language used there is not very suitable for a code of conduct I
> think.  So I'd rather adopt another one.

I fully agree (with both paragraphs)!

> So as to which one to adopt I'm not sure.  The PSF one doesn't say
> anything about enforcement, which may not be ideal.  The PyconUK one
> isn't bad either I think.  But if Dave thinks the contributor-covenant
> is a good choice I'm happy to support that.

The PyConUK one is worded for conferences, which doesn't seem a suitable
choice for projects. We could of course rephrase it, but it's like with
licenses - there are projects where a lot of people put a lot of thought
into a given wording, so writing a homebrewed one is usually a bad idea.

+1 for the Contributor Covenant. It's well established and crafted with
a lot of attention to detail, with quite a big community[1].

I was initially sceptical about CoCs in general as well, but after
spending months researching the topic from both sides and talking to a
lot of people, it got clear to me that CoCs are a very good thing -
even/especially in communites which are already very much welcoming and
healty.

(If needed, I can go into details in September - sorry, exams are coming
closer and closer)

[1] https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant

Florian

--