Antoine Pitrou wrote:
Ubuntu's sophisticated release plan is certainly justified by its
business model, and the desire to both appeal to the open source people
and the corporate people without creating two different distributions.

I don't think Python has the same business requirements (neither does it
have marketing and commercial teams), and having differentiated releases
sounds like unwarranted complication.

IMHO the PSF and Python core development crew doesn't have a business plan at all. By business plan I'm referring to making money with Python directly. As far as I know most core developers are working on Python beause it's fun. Some developers like Guido are paid by their employers to work on Python as part of their job.

Just a crazy idea ... Maybe it's time to make the next step toward professionalizing Python. Python is more and more becoming important for companies. They have to rely upon a stable and solid Python interpreter. Perhaps some companies are willing to pay the PSF. In return the PSF could hire some developer to work on Python full time. A couple of months ago one well known core developer expressed his interest in a paid job. A crew of three to four full time developers could make a huge difference.

Just my two non-Canonical cents of course!

Nice pun :)

Christian