On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:47:09 -0700, Noah Kantrowitz <n...@coderanger.net> wrote:
> +1 on let them break, but when they get fixed it should be against a
> dedicated testing endpoint if possible, preferably something internal
> to the test suite. Maybe spawn an HTTP server in a background
> thread/proc? I would very much like the web infra to not be a runtime
> dependency if possible.

Keep in mind that it isn't only us running the test suite; but, yeah,
this is what we've done in the past.  Just don't do the cutover near
when one of the release managers is trying to produce a release :)

We've been converting tests to use internal services as we've noticed them
for one reason or another, and when possible.  The example I quoted should
be converted.  There are tests that we don't have the infrastructure
to move into the test harness, but I don't think any of the ones that
reference www.python.org should be among those at this point.

--David