On 14 July 2018 at 19:36, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 July 2018 at 08:05, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So stealing Brett's excellent suggestion of "Design Steward" as a
>> BDFL-independent term for the current BDFL-Delegate role, a potential
>> PEP 1 amendment for the appointment process would be:
>
> I've only got one peripheral point to make here, but can we keep the
> term "BDFL" and its derived terms? Even if we no longer have a BDFL
> (although the "FL" means that Guido is still our BDFL, even if he has
> stood down from the actual day to day responsibilities), Carol made
> the important point that Python is about community as much as it is
> about a programming language, and that community is built around the
> BDFL. I think it's important for the community that we continue to
> acknowledge the place of the BDFL in that role, even if it's now a
> notional position.

Yes, the even-more-minimal change would be to leave the terminology
alone (which has the additional benefit of avoiding any bikeshedding
over a new name for the role), and just note that Guido now has the
same role in the process as any other core developer, rather than
needing to explicitly assent to any BDFL-Delegate nomination.

Whenever a new PEP is put forward, any core developer that believes
they are suitably experienced to make the final decision on that PEP
may offer to serve as the "BDFL-Delegate" for that PEP. If their
self-nomination is accepted by the other active core developers, then
they will have the authority to approve (or reject) that PEP. (We retain
the "BDFL-Delegate" term for this role, even though delegates are no
longer directly appointed or accepted by the BDFL - while Guido
still participates in the BDFL-Delegate appointment process, he
participates in the same capacity as any other core developer)