> On 30 Sep 2019, at 20:43, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
>
> On 9/30/2019 3:48 AM, Łukasz Langa wrote:
>
>> To help our chances, please avoid any source-related activity on the 3.8
>> branch from now until the release of 3.8.0. Yes, that also counts for bug
>> fixes unless they are critical. (Yeah, it might be a bit annoying but nobody
>> wants to be the person who introduced a last minute regression in a major
>> release.)
>
> In the past, x.y.zrc1 has been tagged and branched somehow so that commits to
> x.y are commits to x.y.z+, the future x.y.(z+1).  (I never paid attention to
> the details).  For instance, 3.7 is currently 3.7.4+. As soon as Ned makes
> 3.7.5rc1, commits to 3.7 will go to 3.7.5+, the future 3.7.6, and will not
> disturb 3.7.5rc1 until Ned cherry picks them into the rc branch for 3.7.5.
>
> Similarly, 3.8 is currently 3.8.b4+.  As soon as you make 3.8.0rc1, if you do
> it the same way x.y.0rc1 has been done before recently, 3.8 commits should go
> to 3.8.0+, the future 3.8.1.  Nothing should go into 3.8.0 until you pull it
> in or authorize it for those who know how to put it there (I don't). There
> should be no need to halt 3.8 activity.

Right, this is what we were doing and it's what we'll be doing this time
around, too.

However, I feel that the release candidate for a .0 version is rather crucial.
Cherry-picking changes to the gold release from an active support branch has
non-zero risk of unexpected consequences. That can be due to non-trivial
relationships between new commits or due to the release manager messing up the
cherry-pick.

Another complication is a post-release merge conflict due to cherry picks.

This is why the overall recommendation I received from the more experienced
release managers is that if there's too much activity on the branch we should
release another preview. I agree with that, otherwise it gets too messy.

...but I don't want another RC if we can help it :-)

- Ł